Monday, July 8, 2013

Tip #12: Start a "Blessings Book"


While I think this tip is a FANTASTIC one, I have not done great at this. However, I am not naive enough to think that each of these tips is one-size-fits-all. Different personalities will respond to some better than others, and this tip might be just what someone needs to help them give them a new perspective.  

Back in college, I was a marketing major. I learned that customers are 11 times more likely to complain than they are to give a compliment. I remember thinking this is not great news for businesses, and this same concept can be not-so-great for our relationships, or more specifically, our marriages.  

Our Blessings Book
The truth is, we have probably all been guilty of focusing more on the negative than the positive things in life (and marriage) occasionally.  If this remains unchecked, we can quickly become a ‘Negative Nancy.’ You know what I am talking about. The kind of person who complains about every.little.thing. In marriage, this can spiral out of control very quickly. As a result, every now and then, we might need a little help getting our perspective back from...the dark side.  

So, what do we do?  Well, when it comes to marriage, I suggest you start a blessings book.  A ‘Blessings Book’ is a little journal that you keep to record the things you love about your spouse. (You don't have to call it a 'blessings book'; I just want you to get the idea. You can check out ours in the pic.)  It can be anything from major things they’ve done that have knocked your socks off to the little, unique things that make you love them. Then, if you ever find yourself in a season, or even just a moment, that you are beginning to feel like a Negative Nancy, Debbie Downer, Sullen Sammy, Pessimistic Pete... (...Ok, so I may have gotten carried away a bit here), sitting down with this little book can help refocus your attention and thoughts on all the reasons why you love you awesome spouse.  

I love reading your thoughts and comments! Please tell me what you think! 

Prayer-God, it is easy to get distracted by the wrong things. Please help me focus on all the wonderful things about my husband, not only today, but every day of our lives together. Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tip #5: Meet in the Middle

This tip comes from the man Himself, Jesus. (Like many of these tips, it was pointed out to us by our amazing pre-marriage counselor.) It ...